Scholarships are not currently being offered to NYAST Members
The New York Association of Surgical Technologists (NYAST) is accepting applications for a Surgical Technology Student scholarship that allows a student, who is studying in a CAAHEP or ABHES accredited program to attend the AST 52nd National Conference Student Forum in New Orleans, Louisiana. The dates of the conference are June 2-4 2022 and the Student Forum is on Friday June 3 (8am-5pm). The scholarship will cover the cost of the student’s registration, airfare, and (3 night) hotel accommodations with an arrival date of Wednesday June 1, 2022, and a departure date of Saturday June 4, 2022. .
The requirements are as follows: Student must be at least 18 years old and have a GPA of 3.0 or better.
Student must submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- An essay of 500 words or less explaining how attending the AST national conference will benefit you in your career.
- ***Two letters of recommendation:
- One MUST be from a clinical preceptor or surgeon
- One can be employer or another significant person.
- ***A letter from the Surgical Technology program director of your school approving your absence from any class or clinical work during the time you will be away.
- Proof of a 3.0 or better GPA (a copy of an unofficial transcript).
Documents 1-5 above must be submitted together in one packet, organized, and in order, to NYAST Scholarship Selection Committee 576 East River Road, Grand Island, NY 14072 and received no later than Saturday March 5, 2022.
Please note: Incomplete and or late applications will NOT be considered.
- Post conference article (approximately 2 paragraphs) describing your conference experience and the sessions attended for publication in the NYAST Fall 2022 newsletter submitted to NYAST by July 1, 2022.
- The recipient must attend the following NYSAT conference in the Fall in Central NY. A 5-10-minute presentation on what they gained from the conference and why others should apply will be presented. Failure to attend the fall conference will result in the recipient to re-pay ALL EXPENSES.
All applications that meet the above criteria will be considered. The NYAST Student Scholarship Committee will make a decision and announce the recipient at the NYAST Spring 2022 Conference, and the recipient will be notified by phone. The decision of the scholarship committee will be final. NYAST will make all flight and hotel arrangements in consultation with the recipient of the scholarship. The recipient will provide NYAST all information required to make these arrangements. If recipient fails to attend the conference or fails to attend the NYAST Fall conference, they will be held responsible for reimbursement to NYAST for any expenses incurred in bookings or reservations made on behalf of the scholarship recipient.
***A total of 3 letters will be submitted with an application: 2 recommendations and 1 from your Surgical Technology program director to allow time to attend the AST National Conference.
NYAST 2020 AST National Conference Student Scholarship Application
(Please write legibly)
Student Name ___________________________________________________________
Age________ Date of Birth__________ Student ID number____________________
Home Address: ___________________________________________________________
Phone Number _______________________________ (include area code)
Cell Phone _______________________________ (include area code)
Name of School __________________________________________________________
School Address ___________________________________________________________
Name of ST Program Director________________________________________________
Current GPA ____________ *Expected date of graduation____________________
*You are still eligible to apply if you are currently in a Surgical Technology program but will graduate before the conference dates.
If selected to receive this scholarship, I will represent NYAST, my employer, the profession of surgical technology, and myself in a responsible and professional manner. I will attend all sessions of the Conference and submit an article and present at the following NYAST conference about my experience to NYAST as per the requirements set forth. I will make myself available to meet with an NYAST board member, present at the conference, during the conference. I will be given the phone number of an NYAST board member, present at the conference, to contact should I have any questions. I understand that I am responsible for all expenses other than registration, airfare, and hotel accommodations. I understand that if I am awarded and accept this scholarship, and fail to attend the conference, I am obligated to reimburse NYAST any expenses incurred for any bookings or registrations made on my behalf. NYAST has no legal obligation or liability other than what is stated in this application.